Sunday, May 19, 2019

Church

We took a long drive Sunday morning from San Diego to Fontana so I could meet Dad's nephew, Brennan and his family. Of course, we had to take one of "Dad's Detours" along the way. Stopping in at the original Mission San Diego de Alcala in Mission Valley just before mass, we didn't expect to see much inside the sanctuary, but holy smokes...they invited us in!

Founded in 1769 this was the first of the California Missions

This is a shot from the back...the bells with the crowns on top are original, from Spain.


Here's a cool angle of the Mission's facade
Cue the Gregorian Chant...here we come.
Those are the original bricks laid for the floor by the Kumeyay Indians...and the original beams brout in from Julian, CA, so I'm told! All I know is that Julian is famous for its apple pie...BTW, I'm starving!
OK, this is cool. I found a brick that a pup stepped on waaaay back in  the 1700's...maybe my ancestor?

This is Father Junipero Serra, who founded the California Missions. It is said that  this is a life-sized likeness.

One of the many graves in the Indian cemetery.

This is Fra. Serra's apartment...well, more like a townhome, with a loft, and everything! No fridge of microwave tho...drat!

I like playin with little people! Colton loves to play ball!

This kid wore me out!


Cousin Brennan and family...Say cheese!...that reminds me...Im still starvin'






No comments:

Post a Comment